Temporary Residence

Foreign nationals require a permit or visa based on the purpose of their stay in Canada whether that is to visit, study, or work.

Temporary Residence

  • Study

    Elementary and secondary schools as well as post-secondary educational institutions in Canada accept many international students. To apply for a study permit, you usually need a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution in Canada.

  • Visit

    As a foreign national, you must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before entering Canada. Most visitors can initially stay for six months with an eTA and stay longer by applying for an extension.

  • Super Visa

    The super visa program allows Canadian permanent residents or citizens to invite their parents or grandparents to Canada for up to 10 years. Effective July 4, 2022, the length of stay for super visa holders will be increased to 5 years per entry into Canada with an option to request an extension of their stay up to 2 years at a time while in Canada.

Employer-specific work permit
  • LMIA Work Permit

    A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) issues by evaluating the need for foreign employment and the impact on the local labour market. Most employers need an LMIA to legally hire foreign workers in their businesses and foreign workers with LMIA approval can start working after their work permit application is approved. When they apply for permanent residence under Express Entry with an approved LMIA, either 50 or 200 points are added to their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score.

  • LMIA-Exempt Work Permits

    Intra-Company Transferees/Professionals

    Under international free trade agreements, eligible intra-company transferees can apply for a work permit without the need of an LMIA.

    Charitable/Religious Workers

    Foreign nationals who are coming to Canada to work for a charitable or religious organization may apply for an employer-specific work permit without the LMIA process.

    - Religious workers R205(d) - Employer-specific work permit under LMIA exemption
    - Religious leaders R186(l) – Authorization to work without a work permit

    Provincial Nominees

    - Some provincial nominees may use their PNP work permit support letter to request an extension of their work permit while waiting for a decision for permanent residence.

Open Work Permits

  • Post-Graduation Work Permit

    For international students who have maintained legal status in Canada and completed an 8-month or longer program of study at a designated institution in Canada, IRCC may issue a PGWP valid for up to 3 years, depending on the program length.

  • Spousal Open Work Permit

    A spouse or common-law partner of a full-time study permit holder or of a work permit holder employed in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) 0, A, or B occupation may be eligible for this work permit. Sponsored individuals under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class can also apply for an open work permit.

  • Bridging Open Work Permit

    The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) allows foreign nationals to continue working in Canada while their application for permanent residence is being processed.

Hanmaum Immigration Corp.

Please consult with us for the best type of work permit you can apply for.